Currently employed women in the US said they have personally experienced an unwelcome sexual advance in a form of verbal or physical harassment at work. Over the past two decades, workers have objected to being victims of unsolicited sexual innuendos, moreover, the problem still persists.
Sometimes many of us are overwhelmed by the thought that the hours spent in traffic jams on the way from home to work and back could be spent more efficiently. Perhaps it's time to relocate to a cozy co-working space near the house or create a peaceful workplace at home?
Remote work is becoming more and more popular nowadays, plus it enables you to improve your work-life balance and decrease the amount of stress you gain while working in the tense office environment; according to the Virgin Media Business report 86% of employees feel happier when working from home than those who don’t. These numbers are astonishing and make you think of considering part-time or a freelance job, however there are still some uncertainties on that issue.
Let’s discuss the pros and cons of partime job opportunities, full-time work schedule, and online freelance work to help you decide which one of them suits you best.
Salaried employment provides numerous benefits including financial stability, health insurance and other benefits of corporate social package, plus you are able to network face-to-face and get mentored, which is extremely useful for industry freshers or graduates. However, it requires you to be able to follow the 9-to-6 work schedule, which sometimes is quite exhausting if you live far from work and have to spend hours commuting. Recent researches conducted by the University of the West of England show that every 20 extra minutes spent on the road lead to the same dissatisfaction level as receiving a 19% pay cut.
Let’s categorize all the pros and cons of full time employment to have a clearer view of the situation:
Pros of full-time employment:
- Stable monthly income and financial security
- Full access to social package benefits
- Effective communication with team members
- Mentorship and professional advice
- Great opportunity to develop self-discipline
- New friends and better social life
Cons of fulltime employment:
- Time and effort spent on travelling
- Inability to concentrate in an open-space environment
- Fixed working hours and strict office politics?
- Inability to work remotely or take a day-off without an approval from your manager
- Stressful daily grind which decreases the risk of insomnia and depression
Sometimes people tend to confuse part-time employment and freelance work. However, if you’re looking for part time job you must understand the core difference between part time and full time types of work. While freelancers are self-employed, part-time workers are still considered to be a part of the company and eligible for corporate benefits. Part timers work 30 hours per week or less and are involved in the vast amount of workflows, unlikely freelancers who work on a particular projects.
Recent Internet Survey conducted by the National Society of High School Scholars shows that more than 50% of respondents need earnings either to repay their college loan or to contribute to household income. Part time working hours allow students to combine both working and studying at the university or college and also provide work flexibility for young parents who are responsible for taking care of their new born child.
Thus, taking this into account we can list the pros and cons of part-time employment.
Pros of part-time jobs:
- Flexible work schedule; part time job hours are not always fixed, it depends on the type of work you do
- Financial stability
- Access to some of the corporate benefits
- Experience of working in an office environment
- Better social life
Cons of part-time jobs:
- Lots of responsibilities in a short time frame
- Blurred career prospects
- Low salary
- Hardships with handling both career and studying/parenting
- Fewer benefits comparing with full-time employees
Freelance job is a great way to live your life and make money without being turned into a corporate slave. If you prefer working alone and feel yourself capable of attracting new clients or have already developed your own professional network – go for it! There’s no better way to take control over your career than to become a freelancer, however there are still some difficulties which freelancers are constantly struggling with while being self-employed. Plus, not everyone is able to self-discipline oneself and constantly lacks motivation without being pushed either by scurrying co-workers or an overly demanding boss.
To make things clear, let’s take a closer looks to the pros and cons of a freelance job.
Pros of freelance work:
- Ability to work from any place you like
- No fixed work schedule, you can plan a visit to a doctor or a date with your spouse and don’t report to anybody. It’s up to you to decide when it is time to work
- Less stress and more relaxing environment. If you are introverted and have troubles with socializing, then freelancing is a perfect option for you
- Ability to choose projects according to your career goals. You don’t need to do the monkey work; you are in control of every task you receive and able to say no if you’re not interested
- Direct communication with clients; you are able to discuss all the issues without a third (controlling) party involved
- No boss, you’re the only one who is in charge of your results and that’s sounds awesome!
As you can the main advantages of freelancing are defined by the fact that there’s no one to control your work and tell you what is right or wrong, but let’s discuss the other side of the coin.
Cons of freelance work:
- Irregular income and financial instability; if you allow yourself a lot of freedom, then you will earn very little.
- Constant self-discipline and self-control. If you want to earn good money, you will have to discipline yourself and plan your working day, week and month. No one but you is capable of doing that. Remember, there is no boss!
- Customer search. You must put a lot of time and effort to search for clients; otherwise you’ll be left without a paycheck
- Reputation risks. If you’ve left your customers satisfied then relax but if not, get ready to receive bad reviews, complaints and gain bad reputation; there’s no one to blame. Everything depends on you
- Poor social life. There’s no need to mention the major role of short talk between co-workers - it helps your brain to recover from monotonous routine and a couple of witty jokes are able to perk you up better than a cup of freshly made espresso; as a freelancer you are deprived of it
No matter what type of work you prefer, remember things may change. Sometimes it is worth considering part-time employment (if you’re a student or a young parent) and sometimes, it is better to become a full-time employee and gain experience in office work, especially if you’re just starting your career. Plus, it provides you financial security.
As for freelance employment, it’s a good option for those who are already known in the professional circles and their reputation speaks for itself, otherwise searching for customers from scratch might turn into a big headache. However, if you’re truly determined to follow your own way and developed a powerful strategy, don’t hesitate and go for it!
By writing a long list with many job roles, there’s a high chance you will confuse the hiring manager, on the one hand. On the other one, providing few details on your professional life can significantly undermine your chances of advancing to the interview stage. So, how can you get everything right? We’ll show you.
If you have realized that you can do more in your career but the position you have or the company you work at is holding you back – beware. Having a full-time job gives you stability and confidence in the future, but if your personal development and career growth bother you most, it’s time to take the risk. Plus, according to the survey by Job Search Behavior, among the employed and non-employed, it turned out that on average employed job seekers receive hourly wage offers that are 48% higher than those obtained by the non-employed. So, if you want to get a well-paid job, you should start looking for it while employed. Here are some tips on how to be stealthy that will help you make the step to a secret career change easier.
It`s most likely that you have written a resume at least once in your life, so you definitely know that this task is not the simple one. Creating a really good resume takes a lot of time, effort, skill and knowledge. However, when you start from scratch, you are to be aware of all the characteristics of an outstanding resume.
We`ve been holding the news back for some time but now we are ready to announce that our life changing career builder is now available at the top marketplace Product Hunt!
Are you thinking of the seasonal career of a professional Santa Claus? If your answer is yes but you don’t know how to start to get hired, then keep reading the article. Being Santa means bringing joy to parents and kids during the most wonderful period of the year. You will have to sit in a bulky red chair, speak in a deep jolly voice, smile, laugh, and "ho ho ho", but becoming a professional Santa requires a lot of time and efforts, so get familiar with our guide that will help you on your way to Santa Claus career.
Today, a new generation of machines run by Artificial Intelligence are taking root in the labor market. The positive impact of Artificial Intelligence on jobs can already be felt across various industries. However, not everyone is ready to embrace smart technology. There is also a growing fear of Artificial Intelligence taking jobs. But the impact of Artificial Intelligence is not all doom; robots will bring benefits to employment and solve many business, economic, and social problems.
If you are still wondering whether you should add your photo on resume or not, read the article below. In this career guidance, you will find the response to the most common question and get many useful tips to get a winning resume with picture.
Like any other employees, LGBTQ candidates should thoroughly assess the environment of a company before accepting a role. Luckily, thanks to the Equality Act more organizations than ever are becoming LGBTQ-friendly.
But with that, a major issue arises: how can LGBTQ individuals identify these friendly organizations? Here are some things you can do to determine if a company is friendly and will treat you as a valuable equal.
Many young professionals are actually struggling with their job search. Often you can see that even some entry level positions require years of experience. It may seem that it’s almost impossible for new college grad to get hired. But we created a list of jobs that require little to no experience! Keep reading in order to discover your career guidance and jobs that don’t require a resume with extensive working background.