The employment process can be very stressful and long for candidates. Express employment professionals get hundreds of resumes for one job opening and they need to select the best candidates. But before this happens, they have to arrange a phone interview for applicants with convenient resumes in order to speed up the hiring process.
You got invited for an interview. Congratulations! You have the great opportunity to showcase all your professional skills and sell your expertise to recruiters. You probably have prepared the answers for all most common interview questions. However, have you thought about your questions to ask in a job interview?
Candidates usually overlook this aspect of a job interview and that’s one more factor they don’t get hired. At the end of each interview, a recruiter will ask you “Do you have any questions for me?” In case you have no questions on your mind, you can be sure you will never hear from that company again.
Therefore, we have prepared the list of 50+ great questions to ask in an interview to increase your chances to get a job. The questions will be divided into smaller groups so you can easily choose the most interesting interview questions to ask.
The best interview questions to ask your potential employer
Before you dig deeper, these job interview questions will help you make sure you got the complete understanding of all position-related details. There are the best interview questions to ask in the first place:
- What will be the next step in the recruitment process?
- How long does the hiring process at your company usually take?
- What are the main responsibilities of the role?
- What would my daily routine look like in case I get hired?
- What else can you tell me about the job except the info mentioned in the description?
- What you expect me to achieve during the first month/year on the position?
- What can be the key to succeed in this job?
- How can you describe the busiest time possible on this role?
- Would it be required to travel for the job?
- Are overtimes allowed in your company?
- Will I have a mentor during the first month of working with you?
- Could you tell me more about my potential manager?
- How does the onboarding process for new team members look like?
- What will be my #1 priority on this position?
- Will the main responsibilities on this job change in the nearest future?
If you are already clear with these details, we can move on to another section with more general questions.
Questions to ask during an interview to show interest in the company
You have shown an interest in the job you applied for, and now your next task on the job interview is to demonstrate to recruiters and hiring managers that you are a great team player who wants to be a part of their company. Here are good questions to ask interviewer that can show your interest in the company:
- Could you tell me more about your company culture?
- What is my future team like?
- What is the average period an employee keeps this job?
- In what way this job fits the rest of the company?
- Are there any prospects for potential career growth?
- What does the interaction between management and the team look like?
- What kind of reinforcement is used to instruct people?
- Will be a person on this position expected to follow a certain career path?
- How can you describe the general management style at the company?
- What do your current employees love most about working at the company?
- How can people with a background similar to mine adjust to working here?
- Are there any facts about the company that aren’t known to everyone?
- What leadership style you promote in your company?
- What is the average time spent on creating and launching new projects?
- How does the team take a certain idea regarding the project from inception to completion?
By asking these during the job interview, you will show a recruiter not just that you think of how you can get all the work done but also of how you can contribute to the overall company success. These are really good questions to ask in an interview to impress the HR team and make them want to choose you among others.
Questions to ask a potential employer about career growth opportunities
It’s also highly recommended to ask recruiters not just about company culture and position details, but to find out what career and professional growth opportunities you can expect from the company. Show your interest in this company by asking how you can grow within the organization:
- Are your employees rewarded for good job performance?
- Will this role and responsibilities expand in the future?
- What are the opportunities for professional development?
- How many employees have joined the organization company recently?
- Is the company experiencing some growth?
- Where do you see the company in 5 years?
- What are the main goals in the company for the future?
- Are you transparent with team members regarding operations and revenue plans?
Questions to ask an interviewer about future job challenges
In this case, answers on some of the questions will help you understand what challenges you should expect from this job and whether the job is a perfect fit for you. Here are questions regarding job challenges, competition and company’s struggles:
- Could you tell me why the last person quit this job?
- What were the mistakes a person on this role made?
- What are the competitors or products that your company is most worried about?
- What’s the number of people who have left the company during the last year?
- What’s the biggest challenge a company has faced recently?
- What’s the main focus of your company right now?
- What struggles with a day-to-day routine a person on this role would face?
Questions to ask the interviewer about the team
Here are the main questions you should ask to learn more about the team you will work with:
- Does a team’s culture differ from general company culture?
- How is the team structured?
- How often does a team meet as a group to discuss the project?
- Is the work in this team independent or collaborative?
- What are the main types of team event that you do?
- Do you have some joint events with other teams and departments within the company?
- Does a team gather together outside the office?
- How many people are there in a team I will work with?
- Do you expect to expand the team in the nearest future?
- Could you share the biggest success story of one of the team members?
- Are there some skills missing in the team that you want to fill with a new employee?
Some questions to ask the interviewer you’re communicating with
Here are the most impressive questions you can ask your interviewer to get their opinion and experience of working in the company:
- How long do you work in this company and why have you decided to work here?
- What do you love most about working in the company?
- Have your responsibilities changed during this time?
- What was the biggest challenge you have overcome while working here?
- What helped you to succeed in this role?
- What excites you to start working each day?
Questions to ask after an interview
You should ask these questions after the interview to understand the overall interviewing process and what you should expect from it:
- When should I expect to hear back from you after the interview?
- How can I follow up?
- When do you expect to make the offer to a perfect candidate?
- What is the date you want a new hire to tackle the duties?
- How many people are you interviewing for this job?
- Who will give the final feedback regarding the candidates?
- What will be the next stage in the interviewing process?
- Who can I contact if I get the positive feedback?
If you are wondering how many questions to ask employers during the interview, then the answer is at least three questions. It will bring clarity to you and will help you stand out among other candidates with your curiosity and level of preparation.
In case you don’t know what questions to choose, well, you should pick the questions that genuinely interest you as a potential employee. Your main goal is to get the information that will help you understand the company better and make the right final decision that you will never regret.
And of course, there can be bad questions to ask the interviewer which can cost you the job. So before you create the final list of questions you want to ask, make sure that the answers cannot be found on the internet or their webpage. For example, asking about core company values is a bad idea as it’s the crucial info that can be definitely found on the company’s home page.
It’s also recommended to avoid questions regarding the dress code, benefits company offer and vacation. Recruiters want to find a person who will become a team member and will solve their problems. So focusing on these details is not the best idea.
We gave you insight regarding the great questions to ask the interviewer. Prepare well before the interview and rehearse all answers and questions. Have good luck with your next interview!
Are you a starving college student who begins to save pocket money a month before the party? Do you invite your girlfriend for a walk in the park because it is the only place for a date you can afford? Is your stomach constantly spasms because of junked food? Good news for you! There are plenty of well-paying jobs for students available on the job market and we are sure you will find the one that will bring you pleasure, experience… and, of course, money.
Amazon is the largest online trading platform, which sells and purchases tens of thousands of various products every day. The main site of the company is Amazon.com, operates in the US, the company also has divisions in France, England, Germany, Canada, China, and Japan. Initially created to sell only books, Amazon has grown into a giant trading platform with a huge variety of goods from fishing rods to guitars and designer handbags. Actually, according to the Amazon Annual report 2017, the company ships more than 5 billion items! Thus, it’s no wonder the vast majority of people are literally obsessed with an idea of getting a job at Amazon. So how the company works from the inside?
All companies should enroll employees who have an ability to lead, innovate and be passionate to create something new paying no attention to the position they previously hold. Employees who have the enthusiasm to be competent rise through promotions and shine with confidence. If you want your skills to be recognized and appreciated, rise early, tackle work challenges that no other employee would be able to beat you. Make your skills and achievements speak for you instead of your job title!
Landing the desired job is all about convincing hiring managers that you’re the most qualified and suitable candidate for the position. Let’s see what resume sections should be included in your resume, especially if it should pass Application Tracking System (ATS).
Everyone has been there to some extent: absolutely exhausted and frustrated with your duties, responsibilities, colleagues, boss, and job field overall. Everyone knows the feeling. However, if your feeling has lasted for a prolonged amount of time, maybe it is time to consider making a 180 turn and changing your career field. Find out how to make it painless!
LinkedIn is the most powerful tool when it comes to job search and professional networking. It’s a great place to present yourself as a professional and demonstrate all your career history, skills, and abilities. However, a lot of people make a lot of common LinkedIn mistakes that hinder their way to success. So check out these 12 things to never put on LinkedIn and start improving your profile right now!
You have been invited for an interview and everything was good, you got all the signs you got the job after an interview. But then you got rejected. It’s frustrating for sure and you will definitely wonder why it happened. You have a unique chance to ace the interview as we have prepared the main reasons people did not get the job after their interview so you can be fully prepared in the future and avoid these common interview mistakes.
If you are or know a person with disabilities, then you’re definitely aware of how hard it is to find a job. This article addresses the issues surrounding job hunting for disabled people.
Making decisions is never easy. Especially when they may influence future life and career. That is why job seekers often struggle choosing from several vacancies. On the one hand, applying to multiple jobs is a normal process. However, the situation stops feeling comfortable when the candidate is applying to two different jobs at the same company. Let’s have a look at some strategies and see if any of them works.