Employers nowadays tend to improve their workers’ work-life balance and overall working conditions. That is why requests for flexible work schedule are becoming more popular. The number of companies with flexible work arrangements is growing, according to The Personnel Today. But what should you do if there is no flexibility in the workplace at your company? Don’t be afraid. We will tell you how to ask for flexible working hours without any risk to lose your job.
The current job market is very competitive nowadays. While searching for a job, candidates implement diverse career strategies in order to become more marketable and visible to employers.
Landing a new job is an overwhelming process. If you want to stand out among other competitive applicants and impress recruiters, keep reading. You will learn how to get noticed by recruiters and find out the core strategies to advance your career and make yourself marketable.
1. While looking for new opportunities, create a strong digital profile
● Take care of your social media accounts
It is paramount to enhance your professional online presence. Take care of all your social media profiles such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, and Facebook.
In fact, companies that are hiring actively use social media for candidate searching. Make sure they are professional, up-to-date and contain accurate and consistent information. It is your chance to show that you are open to new opportunities and make your first positive impression on recruiters. Showcase your best professional skills and knowledge, include information on your experience, education, and hobbies.
● Delete the unprofessional information
People looking for work should get rid of all the information that can compromise them.
Make sure you have included professional photos on your profiles. Delete all pictures, tweets and posts that are ambiguous or can create a negative impression.
● Create a well-organized LinkedIn profile
LinkedIn is a powerful tool that recruiters use in order to find prospective employees. With LinkedIn let recruiters know you’re open. It should give them the essential information about you as a candidate. How to make LinkedIn profile visible to recruiters? First of all, update it and include the most relevant and recent information. Market yourself and create a professional summary that will highlight your professionalism and abilities. Fill in sections about your work experience and education history. Skills to put on a resume you can use for a LinkedIn as well. It will be highly recommended to make your profile headline more job specific that puts emphasis on your future career expectations and goals. Impress prospective employers with a professional headshot - it will be a final touch for a perfect LinkedIn profile.
2. Build a professional network
- It will be beneficial for your career success to network online with your employers. If you are interested in a particular company, follow their social media profiles in order to get the latest news. It will allow open candidates to gather information about future employer and be aware of all career opportunities available. You can find contact information and in case you have some questions, you can reach them to learn more about a company and a position.
- Don’t neglect attending diverse career fairs. It is a great career move to communicate with company representatives and learn more about their culture and professional requirements. Don’t forget to bring a resume with you.
- One more way to build a strong professional network is to attend conferences, meetups and seminars to let recruiters know you're open.
3. Write a professional resume
- Resume is the essential document that introduces you to a smart recruiter for the first time. Therefore, you should pay extra attention to creating a well-organized resume that will land you a job. Before you start writing your resume, make a research to know more about company’s history, culture, needs and then create position-oriented CV. Think over the good resume titles and the best skills to put on a resume along with your main professional achievements.
- Keep your resume as short and relevant as possible. There is no need to tell all your experience. Include only key facts about your professional career that will make you a worthy candidate. One page will be more than enough.
- In addition, post your resume online. Indeed.com resume will be a great way to become more visible and increase your chances to get noticed by recruiters. This is how to get an interview after applying online.
4. Prepare for an interview
- The last but not the least stage of a successful recruitment is a thorough interview preparation. Check out the essential questions that recruiter might ask you during the interview and think over the best answers. You can even write it down for your own comfort. You should also remember that you can ask recruiter as well. Come up with a list of main questions related to a company and your future position. Involve your family members or close friends in the preparation process. Role-play the forthcoming interview in order to hone your answers.
- During the interview, each detail can be a decisive factor that will determine a hiring decision. You are supposed to dress up in a professional manner and come in time. After the interview, don’t forget to follow up and send a thank you note. It will underscore your specific interest in a particular job opening and demonstrate your courtesy.
Now you are completely prepared to start your way to career success. Follow these strategies and you will see that job search is not that daunting and overwhelming as it seems at first glance.
Sometimes, it is not enough to be an outstanding professional to build a successful career. Networking is important. And in order to socialize successfully in a business environment, one should know the rules of business etiquette. Therefore, if you want to earn respect at work and demonstrate perfect professionalism in the workplace, follow this list of good manners.
Volunteering has seen quite a jump in popularity in recent years. It seems like the people of today are becoming more and more aware of their own local problems and far-reaching worldwide problems and uses volunteering not only to explain their employment gaps. Volunteering is the commitment of one’s time and energy, for the better good of society and the community, the environment. You could say that you are giving back the community for all it has done for you. However, there are many benefits of volunteering that can be very valuable to you.
Ah, the age-old routine: you’ve found yourself unemployed, in need of a job, and wanting to not starve to death. Great! What do you do? How do you look for the next job? You might go to an online job board service, such as LinkedIn or Monster, and skim through all the hundreds of jobs. You might get out your newspaper and examine the job listings section. You might even attend a job fair.
But what if I told you there was another way to find yourself a job? No, this is not one of those freelance markets like UpWork, Freelancer, and Fiverr. I present to you the giant of a site, Facebook.
What is success? It’s been defined many times so far. Scientists used to attribute it to wealth, great career, happy family and self-realization. If only it has been that easy! In fact, it means different things to everyone. The real answer is inside of you—not in Google or encyclopedia. What is success to you? Let’s give you some time to think it over and focus on myths of it instead.
“Hello! My name is Mr. Turkey and I would like to express my interest in White House Thanksgiving Turkey position.”
If a Thanksgiving turkey had ever written a cover letter, it would probably start like this. Probably, each turkey dreams to go to the White House for a Thanksgiving Day, as this is the only way for them to escape their cruel fate and dive into the luxurious life. And we are going to tell you why!
There’s nothing “better” in the world than a bad job, isn’t there? Ah, the pay is absolutely abysmal, the work hours move at the pace of a dead snail, the horrible boss is overburdening you with mundane tasks, the management is eyeing you like a vulture stalks its prey, and, last but not least, Tom from accounting wants you fired just because you ate the last doughnut this Thursday. What in the world is wrong with you, Tom? Just get a life!
Most of us dream to build an outstanding career and make the Forbes List. However, each year only 400 Americans really do that. The question we ask – what makes them so successful? What special skills do they have that help them to build a prominent career? Researching the qualities of those who already achieved career success, you might not become the second Henry Ford, but at least you will be able to develop a strong set of skills for resume that boost your career to the next level. So now, let’s make a plan of skills to develop in order to become rich and famous!
Have you ever felt being the best fit for a job opening, but your resume didn’t even win the interview? When it comes to self-advertising and self-assessment we often feel lost and confused. We don’t want to look conceited in recruiters’ eyes, however, we want to be assessed fairly and know that our skills and efforts made to get them were appreciated. That is why when searching for a job you should focus on how to make your resume stand out and precisely demonstrate your skills and abilities. First of all, let’s check if you had prepared your resume skills list and made strong and professional skills section of resume.
Have you ever had an amazing interview at an amazing company? From the moment you entered the building, it was unbelievable, the interior looked cute, the employees were enthusiastically buried in work and the coffee points were filled with friendly chatter. To sweeten the deal, the interview was going absolutely great.