Internship is not just about giving you college credit; it’s also great for gaining a real-world experience. For students, it’s ideal to turn an internship into a full-time job as it eliminates job hunting process after college graduation. For other people with lack of work experience, it’s a great opportunity to get an extensive knowledge and add one more line into their resume. If you have the chance to turn internship to full time offer, you should definitely go for it. Follow these tips, put your best foot forward, and you may just land yourself the full-time gig. Let’s get it started!
If you are wondering do you need a cover letter while looking for a job, the answer is YES. It is true that some recruiters don’t pay attention to this part of a job application, but you cannot neglect the impact of an effective cover letter on your job search outcome. Keep reading what makes a good cover letter and afterward, you will certainly get a job interview invitation.
Basic cover letter tips
1. Do research
Before tackling cover letter writing, take your time and do some research. Learn more about the company’s culture in order to understand and fit into it. After this, you can decide whether you should be more formal or creative.
2. Cover letter length
You have to write a cover letter, not a novel. Keep it short, 3 paragraphs will be more than enough. Remember, less is always more!
3. Don’t repeat your resume
Add some new and relevant information that will showcase your outstanding personal qualities and professionalism. Don’t rehash what has already been mentioned in a resume writing.
4. Be careful with humor
The desire to be creative and think out-of-the-box is natural, but don’t force it. A little bit of humor won’t hurt, however, make sure it will sound appropriate, otherwise, it will just hurt your job application.
Best cover letter writing tips
A strong resume cover letter can make a huge difference and enhance your application. It is your chance to create a nice first impression and tell your compelling professional story, highlight your best experience and achievements you are proud of. You will also show off your written communication skills. Writing a good one can be daunting for job seekers, so, check out these tips in order to create an outstanding cover letter that will make you more appealing and employable candidate on the spot.
- Your header should include the following information: your address, company’s address, the date.
- Address your cover letter to a specific person. It is highly advisable to find the name of your recruiter. Just in case you can’t find it or you are not sure if it’s correct, you can use “Dear Hiring Manager”.
- A good cover letter introduction doesn’t have to exceed 3 sentences. Mention a job title and state why you are applying for this vacancy. Don’t go deep into details. There is no need to explain where you have heard about this job opening. Briefly explain why you are the best fit for a position.
- In the body of a cover letter cover mention all your best skills and qualification. You have to persuade a hiring manager that you are a perfect candidate and your experience perfectly matches all set requirements. Tell what you can do for a company, what are your main future career goals and how you want to achieve them.
- Provide some concrete examples of your professionalism and qualification. Demonstrate what was your essential duties and how you have coped with professional issues and include your biggest achievements. Your job is to encourage the reader to proceed to your resume.
- Think of a strong closing. Emphasize again on your enthusiasm and particular interest in a position. Ask for a meeting and tell when you are available to discuss all the details. It’s obligatory to include your phone number. Thank a hiring manager for his time and consideration. Don’t forget about a formal sign-off - “All the best” or “Sincerely” and your full name typed.
- Customize your letter to each job opening. Include only relevant to the desired position skills and experience and don’t forget to change the company’s name.
- Proofread your cover letter a few times. It has to be grammar or spelling error free! Otherwise, it will kill your chances for success.
Great cover letter examples
Here are some of the best cover letter ideas that will serve you as an inspiring example for your own one and you will get noticed by recruiters.
1. This is the best example of a well-written creative cover letter. The essential thing is to find the balance between creativity and your understanding of what your future job is about.
2. This entry-level cover letter example will match students and people with no working experience.
3. A simple cover letter can also draw hiring manager’s attention. It is laconic and to-the-point.
4. This professional cover letter is perfect for experts in their industry. This one is the best cover letters tailored specifically for a marketing position.
By implementing these tips on how to write cover letters that stand out, you will certainly succeed in your job search. Take your time to write a perfect cover letter and don’t forget to proofread it multiple times. Give it to your close friend or family member in order to get honest feedback. Most importantly, don’t be afraid of being yourself and you will land a dream job.
There are many options to boost your career, especially, if you already have a degree. In reality, there are much, much more career paths without college than you would think. So, here are some ideas on what to do, if you think your resume does not look as strong as it should be.
The job hunt is never easy. But what if your resume employment history is far from perfect? Some of us can take some time off from work for different reasons. Some people take this time to raise a child, finish their education, travel abroad. Some people got laid off or even fired from a previous job and it took a few months to find a new one. What is the perfect way for explaining gaps in employment? We will show you how to create a consistent resume that will demonstrate that you are a reliable professional who is a perfect fit for a job.
Your LinkedIn profile is a powerful tool. You will be surprised but, in fact, among all career strategies this one is meant to be the best that can help you to get a job with ease. Keep reading if you are wondering how to use LinkedIn and land a job.
Starting to network can be a scary undertaking, somewhat like being on the first date. You may be starting a conversation with a complete stranger, or with someone you have met have never actively engaged. Just like in the first date, starting this type of communication can be awkward. The key here is to try to be as bold as possible and strike a memorable first impression. Even then you will still need some tips on how to break the ice and start the conversation. In this article, we have gathered 11 conversation starters to get you going.
According to statistics, around 35.5 million of Americans change their place of living each year. Some of them enjoy refreshing their lives from time to time and feel excited about the opportunity of moving to a new city or country. However, there are plenty of those who are always anxious about such significant, or even the smallest changes and relocation to an unusual environment can be rather stressful for them. Regardless of which group you belong to, finding a job in a new city can become a rather problematic issue.
Every first-time job seeker or career changer knows for sure how to prepare a resume. However, not everyone knows how to do it professionally. In fact, there are three types of resumes: chronological resume, functional or skill-based resume, and combination resume. All these types are used according to candidate’s work experience and employer’s requirements. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.
Have you ever had an amazing interview at an amazing company? From the moment you entered the building, it was unbelievable, the interior looked cute, the employees were enthusiastically buried in work and the coffee points were filled with friendly chatter. To sweeten the deal, the interview was going absolutely great.
The job market is overflowing with diverse job openings and professionals willing to impress recruiters and get hired. Respectively, the job hunt has become a truly daunting process; however, the impact of automation on employment is obvious. We will show you how current AI technologies can help find a job easily and conquer the desired career field.
In this article, we will equip you with some useful knowledge on how to adjust your resume to a civilian job market and help with translating military experience to civilian terms, so that you will be able to ensure your would-be employers that you’re a decent candidate for the position in a civilian sector.